Wednesday 2 July 2008

June 27th 08 - The pollen count


Every morning at this time of year I have to undertake the pollen count. This involves me firstly changing the pollen trap on the roof of the Wilbert Court flats in Beverley, then taking the used drum into the office and analysing the tape under a microscope to actually count the pollen grains! As a team we are responsible for the data that informs the national pollen forecast for this region. We do it between beginning of June and start of August every year. The data is then phoned through to the National Pollen Research Centre in Worcester where they combine it with data from other centres and use it to model the grass pollen forecast which you see on your TV and in your newspapers etc.


I don't mind going up there on the roof every morning, as long as it's not too windy, but I do hate doing the count under the microscope, especially making the slides up as it's very fiddly and easy to make a hash of. The roof offers some great views of the town, and not something you see everyday. So I'll put up with the rest of it just for that.


Thankfully I don't suffer with hayfever, but if you do rely on the forecasts for your hayfever then spare a thought for us poor souls counting it on your behalf :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never thought about how they actually do the pollen count! Thankfully I don't get hayfever, but my older brother and my sister do so I know how annoying it can be for people. Keep up the good work!