Saturday 12 April 2008

12th April 08 - The "Bottom Shuffle"


I'm getting sick of this cast already. I feel so dependant on everyone else. I can't even go and get a drink if I want one. Dad and Chris are running round like blue arsed flies doing work to keep the house going now the plumbers have finished and cleaning like madmen ready for Mum coming back from hospital, and all I can do is sit here with my foot up. I usually live on my own so I'm very independent and now feel really useless and fed up.


The worst part of it all is that I can't put any weight on the bad foot at all so getting around is really hard work, I essentially bench press my entire weight every time I take a step - I now really regret my previous addiction to chocolate, ice cream and cake :)


The hardest part is getting up and down stairs...I have perfected the "bottom shuffle" where I drag myself up the stairs on my bum then use a "kick-stool" at the top of the stairs to help me back onto my feet. It's not a pretty sight at all trust me.


I love to cook, but it's one of the things I have had to give up now that I'm so immobile. However, I'm persuaded Dad to allow me to cook dinner tomorrow. I'm supposed to keep this foot elevated all the time but it's driving me mad, so I'm going to get set up with a stool in the kitchen and battle through it. We're having Cottage Pie which is my favourite. I'm sure I'll get used to these crutches and cast but if I had a saw handy they'd be off ASAP!!

No comments: