Sunday 27 April 2008

27th April 08 - A typical Sunday - Grand Prix, Chocolate Brownies, and Photoshop playtime




I had a very lazy day today, settling down to watch the Grand Prix this afternoon and then cooked some Chocolate Brownies before having a play on Photoshop.

The Grand Prix was OK, it was nice to see Lewis Hamilton get on the podium again, hopefully he's back on form after a couple of races where mishaps and mistakes left him struggling. I was amazed to see his team mate, Heikki Kovalainen, survive what looked like a horrific crash. His car left the track at around 140mph and headed straight for a tyre wall where it buried itself so far inside that they needed a truck to drag it out before they could assess his injuries. They estimate he experienced close to 100G (100 times the force of gravity) on impact. The safety systems in place in F1 are truly remarkable, people die in head on car crashes on the roads at speeds of less than 30mph so it always amazes me to see drivers walk away from the crashes in F1. Hopefully the systems will trickle down to normal road cars, as traction control, power steering, anti-lock brakes all started off in Formula 1. Best wishes to Kovalainen, I hope he makes a full recovery.

This was his crash:








The chocolate brownies were lovely. Mum and I made them and they didn't take long. I think they were in the oven for a little bit too long as they were a bit crusty round the edges but they did taste amazing. The recipe will be on on http://www.communityfriend.co.uk/ shortly, but head over there for lots more recipes anyway.

The photo at the top of this blog was the result of some messing around on Photoshop this afternoon. I'd seen the style a few times on Flickr and liked it so thought I'd give it a go. I took about about 20 photos, each showing a different part of the radio, making sure there was plenty of overlap. Then loaded them all into Photoshop and then made a new, very large, blank canvas and copied and pasted each image into it in turn. Moving them into the right(ish) place. So I ended up with a Photoshop image made up of loads of layers, which I then added a drop shadow to each one to make them look 3D. It took a while but I'm pleased with the result. I'd like to try the technique on an outdoors shot, maybe a large building, to see what it look like. I enjoy trying new things as it keeps me learning and improving with the camera...at least that's the plan.

No comments: