Monday 28 April 2008

28th April 08 - Visit to Meadowhall, then later some sunset chasing


Mum, Dad and I went to Meadowhall today, a huge shopping centre just outside Sheffield. Mum wanted to get a few bits and bobs and we all wanted out of the house for a bit to be honest. They got me a wheelchair, which I resisted at first as it's bad enough being on crutches right now without having to be pushed about in a wheelchair too. But I saw sense in the end and realised that it would make it quicker and easier for Mum and Dad to do what they wanted to do...it also saved my shoulders getting a pounding from the crutches. Trust me, I'm beginning to look like Popeye! I took the photo of Meadowhall to show the cooling towers at the Tinsley Viaduct as they are due to be demolished in the next year or so after they finish the roadworks on the viaduct. It'll be a real shame to see them go as they are a local landmark and a real legacy of Sheffield's industrial past, especially the steel works that used to cover the entire Meadowhall site. I was a bit nervous about taking the photos on the site due to all the recent fuss about Photographer's rights but I managed to get a number of photos off without any security guards turning up thinking I was a terrorist!

This evening, after dinner, Chris and I took a drive out in search of some shots of the dramatic clouds that were boiling up on the horizon. They were really impressive and you could see the rain falling on the horizon. We headed over to Firbeck, a village a few miles from my parent's house and got a few photos of the storm clouds contrasting with the yellow rape fields. We then went off in search of a decent vantage point to photograph the sunset, but it sank rather disappointingly behind a huge cloud and didn't give us the show we were hoping for...typical!


No comments: