Saturday 21 June 2008

June 20th 08 - A trip up the coast



I love the north Yorkshire coastline, Scarborough, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby and all the way up to Saltburn. Full of interesting little place, great views and beautiful beaches. It was a lovely day here so I decided to take a run up to Whitby in the hope of seeing a nice sunset and getting some photos of the town. It was a lot quieter than I thought it would be, I suppose the summer holidays have not quite started yet...it's a shame the town has become so much like a cheap holiday resort in season as I think it spoils the character of the place. The old town still has much to offer though and if you head there out of season it really is a beautiful place.




I had a walk round the outskirts of the Abbey, then down the 1999 steps to the main town before walking out towards the lighthouses for a view back into the town. I'd been there a while before I noticed that the sunset was looking a bit promising so decided to hedge my bets and head further up the coast to Saltburn as it offers some of the best sunsets in the UK in my opinion. All looked on track when I got there, and the local snappers were certainly out in force with about 8 different tripods vying for position on the beach. But as is often the case the sunset disappeared behind a low lying, thick layer of cloud at the horizon and fizzled out to nothing. I enjoyed the ride up there though and it was nice and peaceful standing on the beach listening to the water.




I took the time to get a few light trail photos on a quiet stretch of the main Whitby to Scarborough road on the way back. I set the camera up on a tripod about a metre or so from the road looking down a long sweeping stretch of road and fired off shots with the infra-red remote. I was quite pleased with the results (see below). I didn't stay too long as people driving along the road were beginning to suspect I was a policeman with a speed camera and I worried a real policeman would come along and give me an earful!

No comments: