Sunday 22 June 2008

June 22nd 08 - A dry Beverley Westwood



I'd been thinking about doing this photo for a while. About a year ago to the day this region, along with many others in the UK, suffered the worst floods for decades. Hull was particularly badly hit and parts of Beverley were deluged too.

This row of houses backs onto the Beverley Westwood, a large area of public parkland on the edge of town, and they are some of the most sought after properties in the town with a great sense of character and an ideal location. When the floods hit they suffered really badly. I remember going down one evening after a meeting at work and being shocked by how far the water had come and feeling really bad for those people who were watching their homes being damaged.

I took a few photos at the time, the one below is one of them, and you can see to what extent the flooding impacted the homes. It made, photographically speaking, for a great photo, the light was perfect and the reflections really stood out. But I remember feeling very intrusive and uncomfortable taking the photos. I think it helped that the water had been there for a day or so, so no-one was in the middle of trying to save possessions otherwise I would like to think I would have put down the camera and gone to help.

Thankfully it's a beautiful day in Beverley today, bright summer sunshine, warm and breezy. I hope it stays this way, and remains a lot drier than it was last year.

No comments: