Tuesday 17 June 2008

June 17th 08 - A very lucky find


This is a photo of South Dalton Church, this wasn't going to be my photo of the day but I got sidetracked on the way back to Beverley so I decided to come straight home. This is what happened.


I was driving back down the back road into Beverley from South Dalton where I'd taken this photo when I saw what I thought was a wisp of smoke coming from one of the ditches off the right hand side of the road. I found somewhere to pull over and turned round. When I got back to the spot the smoke had gone but I pulled over anyway and got out of the car. I had a look through the bushes and down close to the ditch when I found the remains of a bumper and the grass was all flat. I walked further down the ditch following the debris and found a car in the bottom of the ditch with a lady trying to get out of it. I managed to get her back to my car where I phoned the police and ambulance service. She was really shaken up but appeared to be OK.


After a short while a paramedic first responder arrived who was followed a little while later by a police car then an ambulance too. The lady didn't remember what happened at all and there were no skid marks on the road just a trail of damage through the undergrowth into the ditch. The paramedics and ambulance crew guessed she must have blacked out and left the road. She was so lucky, the car had missed a large tree trunk by less than a metre, and at 50mph(ish) you can only guess at what would have happened. I'm just really glad she's OK.


I was pretty shaken up myself and I didn't realise how much until I got home and sat down and thought about it. Walking to the car in the ditch I was feeling sick to my stomach as I had no idea what I would find and what I would do about it if it was as bad as I feared. I only had a very small amount of battery left in my mobile so I knew I would have to leave whomever was in there and go back to the car to call the ambulance, and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to leave anyone who was badly injured. I'm just so lucky that she was a walking wounded and was able to come back to my car with me. It just shows you how lucky some people are, her car was pretty hidden in that ditch and had she been trapped she may have laid there for sometime before anyone got to her.


Although it was a happy(ish) ending, it's certainly not something I'd want to repeat anytime soon.

No comments: