Monday 10 March 2008

Bamburgh Castle


When I got up and had my breakfast it was blowing a gale in Berwick and lashing it down with rain. I checked the wind direction and seeing it was coming from the south I decided to head towards it hoping it would blow over me and leave me with nice weather to enjoy. So I headed down the A1 to Bamburgh and went over to the castle. No sooner had I got out of the car did the wind pick up and nearly blew me off my feet. Then the rain came and it looked like my plan had failed.


I decided to kill some time by going for a look round the inside of the castle. Having paid my £7 I trudged up the hill into the wind to get to the castle. Even though it is a beautiful building I was very disappointed walking round it. It just seemed to be full of objects with no real effort put into explaining the history of the place, such a shame really as I bet it has some stories to tell.
After my walk round the castle I came out to find a break in the weather so took a walk along the beach to take advantage of the views back across the sands to the castle. By this time the sun had come out and it was beautiful.


I'd recommend a visit to the area as it is lovely, but maybe avoid going in the castle and spend your money on a pint and some food at one of the local pubs instead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great photo of the castle. We've been there a few times on bike runs, but I've never been inside ... so at least now I know I've not missed very much! From the outside, though, it's really very impressive. I like the forlorn post you've got in the photo ...