Tuesday 4 March 2008

Lunch at Betty's


I popped my Betty's cherry today and entered one of the finest English Tea Rooms for the very first time. Betty's, a Yorkshire based posh cafe/tea room chain, is a firm favourite amongst the Community Friend Flickr group so I thought it time to give them a go.


I was in Northallerton for a meeting this morning which conveniently finished just before noon so I decided to treat myself to a lunch here. I wasn't disappointed, the food was superb and the service excellent, although the meeter / greeter / seater was either having a bad day or she didn't like the look of me!


The only downside or upside depending on your point of view...was that I was easily the youngest in there by a good 35 years! and felt quite out of place with my newfangled mobile phone and camera. Thankfully I was in work trousers and shirt, as I think they'd have booted me out onto the pavement if I'd dared go in there in jeans.


Having said all that though I had the best club sandwich for lunch I've ever tasted.


Northallerton was a nice place but the parking really confused me. I pulled up outside Betty's and was really pleased with myself for getting a space only to get out of the car and see a sign saying Disk Parking only. I assumed this meant Disabled Discs so I got back in the car and went off to find another space. Everywhere I looked all i could see were parking bays for Disc holders...now I know Northallerton probably has quite an aged population but this was getting ridiculous. I drove round in circles for a little while before following signs for what I assumed was a pay and display car park set back from the main town area. Only to get there and find it was another disc area. I finally did what I should have done in the beginning and read the sign properly and found the whole town has free parking as long as you display a free blue disc which you can get from any shop or public building. Feeling a bit silly I parked up, got my disc and had a saunter off into town.


Maybe they have that system in place to keep those with a lower than average IQ out :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

he he - better than a bus pass then :)

Jon Tait said...

Maybe I should have borrowed Mum or Dad's :))